As the world moves from paper to web pages, keyboards are an absolute must for any writer. But not just any keyboard will do. You need a keyboard that is going to enhance your writing experience and help further your creativity.
From blogs to research papers the right keyboard can help you write the best work you’ve ever done. But with so many options on the market, it can feel overwhelming to know which one is right for you.
Keep reading to discover the best keyboards on the market that may just be the key to finishing that award-winning novel!
Below are 6 of the best keyboards for writers. We include everything from Windows to Mac, you will be able to select the keyboard that helps you. From full-sized to tenkeyless keyboards, we have everything you need to make the right decision!
Logitech is known for their more compact style of keyboards but they have finally launched a full-sized keyboard. The Logitech MX Keys Keyboard has some excellent features that will help you get that assignment finished before the weekend.
It pairs with a variety of devices, including backlighting and media keys that may be customized. The linear, clicky, tactile, or quiet models are available to writers.
Another awesome feature is the backlit keys. From the moment your fingers approach the keys, the backlit comes on and you can get to burning the midnight oil.
This is a Bluetooth keyboard that connects to your laptop, tablet, or smartphone for easy typing. Whether you are typing up notes from class, finishing an assignment, or editing your first ever horror novel, you can do it all on the Logitech MX Keys Keyboard.
- Stroke Keys: This keyboard is designed with your fingertips in mind. Perfectly placed keys provide a comfortable typing experience.
- Backlit Keys: Write through the night without straining your eyes with the automatically adjusting backlit keys.
- Bluetooth: Connect to up to 3 devices without draining the battery.
- Design: The design is rather plain which may not make it an enticing choice.
- Price: This is a rather expensive option in the realm of keyboards.
For authors seeking a relaxing, ergonomic typing experience, Microsoft offers the Sculpt Ergonomic Keyboard. The split ergonomic keyboard’s design minimizes stress on the hands and wrists, while the ergonomic cushioned palm rest offers comfort and reduces cramping.
The Microsoft Sculpt Ergonomic Keyboard has a masterful split design that reduces the strain on your wrists and aids in supporting your hand’s natural position to let you type for longer.
Now, if you find yourself on the go and feel this keyboard is too big to fit in your bag, you can easily detach the numeric keypad!
By encrypting your keystrokes, the Advanced Encryption Standard (AES) technology included in this keyboard is intended to help safeguard your information. It also comes with a wireless mouse that makes for easy navigation on the screen.
All things considered, the Microsoft Sculpt Ergonomic Keyboard is a great option for writers who want a reliable, cozy keyboard to keep them productive.
- Split Design: This reduces the strain on your wrists and makes it much more comfortable to type for long periods of time.
- Advanced Encryption Standard (AES): This is an excellent feature for keeping your information and work secure.
- Wireless: Work with any device, anywhere with this wireless keyboard.
- Mouse: Wireless mouse is included for an easier user experience.
- Not Backlit: The keys on this keyboard are not backlit which can be inconvenient during the evening or early morning.
- Learning Curve: The split design can take some time to get used to.
Now, you may be wondering why this keyboard is on the list as it is more catered towards gamers. But it does have some features that are perfect for enhancing your writing experience.
One of the biggest benefits of this keyboard is the detachable wrist rest. This helps support your hand’s natural shape which can reduce fatigue and prevent strain on the muscles.
Cherry MX switches, which are renowned for their accuracy and precision, are used on the keyboard. As a result, you can type with confidence knowing that your words will be correctly recorded.
The Corsair K95 RGB Keyboard also has full per-key RGB backlighting. This is great if you enjoy customizing your appliances to suit your aesthetic or find color to bring your creativity forward. This is also great if you enjoy working at night as you will be able to see your keys anytime, anywhere.
- Compatibility: This keyboard is compatible with both Windows and macOS computers.
- RGB Backlighting: Change the color of your keys with the customizable backlighting and type all night long.
- Wrist Rest: Detachable wrist rest means you stay comfortable and supported for as long as you write.
- Price: This is a rather expensive keyboard but it does come with some incredible features.
- Target Audience: Targeted towards gamers, this keyboard can be daunting for writers.
Sometimes taking a step into the past is the best way to go forward. And the 7KEYS7 Retro Typewriter Keyboard is the best way to do it!
This keyboard is styled after a vintage typewriter. Connect to your device through Bluetooth, place it where the paper would go, and get to typing.
You will have wonderful clicks as you type but you may miss the clang of the return cartridge after each line.
Another awesome feature is the adjustable LED lighting. Now, the keys themselves are not backlit, just the keyboard as a whole which may not be ideal in the dead of night. But it works perfectly as the sun begins to set.
Choose from black, white, or wood finish for the perfect vintage look that is going to have your peers jealous.
Worried that your device isn’t compatible with this keyboard? The 7KEYS7 Retro Typewriter Keyboard is compatible with Android, Windows10, iOS, and macOS. Anyone can enjoy the nostalgic vibes of this keyboard while getting their work done.
- Compatibility: This keyboard is compatible with iOS, macOS, Android, and Windows10.
- LED Lighting: Adjustable LED lighting helps you see the keyboard in low light.
- Battery: With a battery life of 10 hours, you can work all day long before needing to find a power source.
- Price: This is a more expensive keyboard due to the typewriter style.
- Wrist Support: There is no wrist support which may cause strain over time.
One of the top keyboards for writers is the Apple Magic Keyboard. The backlit keys make it simple to see in low light, and it is wonderfully comfortable to text on.
As a writer, you are going to be using your keyboard a lot and probably have it with you at every waking moment. The Apple Magic Keyboard is highly durable and perfect for traveling.
Many writers enjoy the feel of the Apple Magic Keyboard as the keys are expertly placed to give you a seamless typing experience. An absolute must for writers who spend hours on end at their computers.
This is a wireless keyboard that pairs with any Apple device and does require the USB-C Lightning Cable to charge. Luckily the keyboard has one of the longest-lasting batteries on the market where you can go months without needing to charge the battery!
Another cool feature is the Touch ID. You can sign in to apps and websites and unlock your Mac quickly, easily, and securely using Touch ID. Perfect if you often forget your passwords and logins for accounts.
As with every Apple product, this keyboard is only compatible with other Apple devices. So, unless you have an iPad, Macbook, or iPhone, you will not be able to use this keyboard.
- Key Spacing: The keys are expertly placed to provide a comfortable and smooth typing experience.
- Battery Life: Enjoy months of writing, working, and playing on your Apple Magic Keyboard before needing to charge it again.
- Touch ID: Log in easily to your apps and accounts with Touch ID technology.
- Compatibility: This keyboard is only compatible with other Apple products, limiting the number of people who can use it.
- No Padding: The keys provide no padding or cushioning which can become painful for more heavy handed typists.
If you are on a tighter budget, the Logitech K780 Multi-Device Wireless Keyboard is about to become your best friend.
With this keyboard’s multi-device design, switching between your PC, tablet, and phone is simple. Additionally, the keyboard comes with an integrated stand that supports your devices at the ideal angle for typing.
This keyboard also includes a decided numeric keypad that makes it easy to type numbers and symbols without being bulky and unappealing. Not to mention the estimated two-year battery life.
This keyboard is not backlit so you may have to turn a lamp on during the evening but it is an excellent option for any level of writer. The keys are comfortable and it is compatible with various operating systems.
We love this keyboard for its affordability and quality. It is an excellent choice for anyone who is in the market for a keyboard that does what is said on the packaging.
- Price: This is an extremely affordable option that still makes for a wonderful typing experience.
- Numeric Keypad: Type numbers and symbols easily with the numeric keypad without taking up loads of space.
- Bluetooth: Connect to any Bluetooth device when writing for a more comfortable time while writing.
- Not Backlit: If you enjoy working into the wee hours of the morning, this keyboard may not be for you as it is not backlit.
- Design: Keys are not raised which can feel off for experienced writers.
Buyer’s Guide To Choose The Right Keyboard
As you scroll, hunt, and search for the perfect keyboard you are going to come across some specifics. From having a wrist rest to the layout of the keys, each element has to come together to provide you with the best typing experience.
This buyers guide tells you everything you need to know when buying the perfect keyboard:
One of the most important aspects of your keyboard is the comfort it provides you. You are going to be spending hours upon hours typing on your keyboard and there is nothing worse than being uncomfortable after only 30 minutes.
There are various solutions with different keyboard inclination positions available on the market. Because it relieves the stress on your wrists from prolonged typing sessions, the slight incline will keep your hand raised for more comfortable writing.
Another great option is to buy a keyboard with a wrist rest. This small cushioned pad protects your wrists, fingers, and even your forearms from becoming strained over time.
You may not consider the durability of your keyboard to be that important but it is a major feature. You want your keyboard to last longer than a few months and to remain reliable the entire time.
Mechanical keyboards are typically more durable and dependable. There are variants available that are made of sturdy ABS or metal alloys for everyday usage.
However, professional and novice writers can both utilize high-quality membrane keyboards because they don’t feel flimsy and are durable.
Membrane Or Mechanical
When it comes to mechanical or membrane keyboards you probably have no idea what we are talking about.
- Membrane: Membrane keyboards have numerous membranes that, when pressed, transmit data. The small weight of the keys ensures a lighter and quieter keyboard.
- Mechanical: Every key on a mechanical keyboard has a mechanical switch at the bottom. These are cleaner and more enduring. The keyboard, though, will be bulkier and likely more expensive.
This is a completely personal choice and may take some trial and error to determine what one you prefer. Gamers typically prefer mechanical keyboards due to their durability but many writers prefer the silence of a membrane keyboard.
Wired Or Wireless
Wired keyboards are the traditional type of keyboard that is generally attached to the desktop. They often use a USB in order to connect.
A wired keyboard is reliable and provides a much smoother writing experience as there are no connection issues. Unless your wire is damaged, then it is just a quick repair to get you typing again.
You can use wired keyboards if you work in an office. To ensure a seamless typing experience, you must verify that the keyboard is compatible with your operating system.
Wireless keyboards are becoming more and more popular. Especially among younger users who find themselves working from shared office spaces, their homes, or cafes and parks.
When using a wireless keyboard you need to ensure that your device has Bluetooth and that it is always charged to prevent connectivity issues.
Wireless keyboards are more flexible in the device you use and where you use it but if you run out of charge halfway through working, you may find yourself floating upstream without a paddle.
Weight & Size
Another important element is the weight and size of the keyboard. With many of us constantly on the go, our keyboards are never just sitting on a desk.
You need your keyboard to be compact enough to fit in your bag and light enough to carry around, while still being able to type comfortably.
These keyboards are made for optimum portability and come in folding versions that fit effortlessly into your pocket.
Most wireless keyboards come without or with detachable numeric keypads to give you the flexibility to move around. It also makes it a lot easier to store when you need a break from writing.
Having a backlit keyboard is going to make your writing experience a lot smoother. As the sun goes down and even the light provided by a lamp doesn’t work, your backlit keys are going to be your savior.
You want to make sure the keys themselves are backlit, not just the keyboard as a whole. This will allow you to work well into the night without sacrificing your sight.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can You Type Faster On A Mechanical Keyboard?
Because a mechanical keyboard lets you adjust the sound and feel of your keyboard, using one over a standard keyboard can speed up typing. A mechanical keyboard’s tactile and auditory feedback can speed up typing and let you know when a key has been pressed.
Are Typewriter Keyboards Good For Writers?
Overall, yes! Typewriter keyboards provide a satisfaction factor when typing which can help boost creativity when writing, editing, and brainstorming.
Is Writing Better Than Typing For Creativity?
Writing ideas by hand allows you to think more clearly. It enhances your critical thinking, forcing you to form connections between the ideas, thoughts, or notes you write.
What Layout Do Fast Typists Prefer?
The answer to quicker and simpler typing was the DVORAK keyboard layout! August Dvorak created a keyboard in 1936 so that people could type more quickly. The QWERTY keyboard and the DVORAK keyboard have quite distinct layouts.